Laurie's Life (Denver Style)

See how our family is doing since moving from Cali to Colorado

Monday, April 30, 2007

So pleased with myself

I know I'm not normally a very cocky person but today I'm just too damn proud of myself not to let you all know just how great I am.

For Christmas we got my oldest child a bike. We assembled it this weekend (no I'm not cocky because I'm a huge procrastinator. Besides it was damn snowy this winter, lay off) and found out that it doesn't really fit her (nope, not my moment of pride either) but it fits me perfectly.

I had to wrestle with some deamons here people. I haven't ridden a bike in a good 15 years. Ever since I went riding through the streets of Arcata, CA and some hapless hippy almost ran me over. Seriously. I knew I could ride, but did I want to die?

One of the nice things about living where I do is the trail system here. They are everywhere. One just happens to start right off the end of my cul-de-sac (cue no/fx song. sorry) Without thinking I slap on my helmet and go hit the trail. One of the hills was so hard that I saw two people get off and walk their bikes. But I conquered the beast and rode on home.

My bike ride was short (though it almost killed me and I thought my lungs were going to burst) but I did it and am very proud of myself. Even though my ass now hurts and I have a slightly chafed vagina, I did it. Aren't you proud of me?

17 Comments:

  • At April 30, 2007 at 10:07 AM , Blogger Burfica said...

    sure real proud, chafed vagina and all.

    It's really not working trying to keep this straight face.

    bawwwwhahahahahhahahaha

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 10:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wooohooo laurie, you go girl!!

    Oh...and bicycle seats aren't "toys" girl.

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 10:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm very proud of you! I get exhausted just walking up 2 flights of stairs.

    Bike seats are a real bitch, though. They have special ones for dudes- why not girls?

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 12:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are a superstar!!! I'm so proud, I can hardly contain myself.

    Sucks about the vag, I'm sure there is a cream for that...

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Mz Jackson said...

    Whoa! you go girl!

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 1:16 PM , Blogger TrappedInColorado said...

    You absolutely have to buy bike pants.. they will save your vagina (unless, ofcourse, you like the whole chaffed vagina thing). I'll start looking for a woman on a kids bike trying to get up a hill with normal shorts and a tomato face. I'll say hello as I pass. :)

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Oh great One said...

    Way to go! I don't even remember the last time I straddled a bicycle!

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Tracie said...

    A chafed vagina could get you maybe some TLC with your husband?

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm so proud of you. If you're planning to make it a habit you might want to buy one of those over padded big seats that your gramma used to use. Much easier on the vagina.

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Ian said...

    "slightly chafed vagina" set me off in a paroxysm of giggles. I'm so mature. LOL

    Yay for getting out in the beautiful weather. I'm going to dig my roller blades out of the bottom of the closet and see what kind of damage I can do to myself pretty soon here.

    Ian

     
  • At April 30, 2007 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Chickie said...

    Go you! Poor vagina.

    Heh, we just put together one of the things that the boys got for Christmas last weekend. You are not alone in your procrastination!

     
  • At May 1, 2007 at 6:05 AM , Blogger Trisha said...

    Good job! I have not been on a bike in ever either..they scare me! Maybe I will have to try now...

     
  • At May 1, 2007 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Tim said...

    good for you!

    Sounds like now you need to treat the oldest child to an ice cream, which will be too big for them and you will have to eat it.

     
  • At May 1, 2007 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

    I hate a chafed vagina...ouch. At least you got a good workout.

     
  • At May 1, 2007 at 2:13 PM , Blogger Incognito said...

    At least you didn't better than I. After decades of not having ridden a bike, I got on one recently... fell over, scraped my knee and never got back on. I guess it will stay that way for another few decades.. if I last that long.

     
  • At May 1, 2007 at 2:30 PM , Blogger Barb said...

    I bet you'll get lots of hits from saying vagina LOL

     
  • At May 5, 2007 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Canadian flake said...

    wtg on the bike ride...I would love to do that again but honestly I am chicken. Oh well, guess I will have to stick to safe walking..lmao.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home